Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Diary of a nofap streak - Day 16: An opportunity relax into the noise.

I'm quite tired. There is construction work going on outside, and it's fairly loud. I'm waiting for the delivery service guy to arrive (alcohol free beer, mostly). I don't plan on leaving the flat at all. Delivery food, a few videos, some reading...

Despite the tiredness, the annoying noises and the wait (which always makes me kind of nervous even if there isn't anything to fret about), I'm surprisingly focused, calm and content. I put it down to my daily meditation routine, intermittent deep breathing, yoga and the good feelings from the chastity work, mostly.

When you know how not to fight the noise, instead make a conscious effort to welcome it (counterintuitive as this is!), realize that you can't do anything about it anyway - well, I could go to a café or something, so if I choose otherwise, it's really my own fault isn't it - and try to see it is yet another practice, then it all becomes a lot easier.

Ultimately, the idea is that everything contains an element of joy, even what seems to annoy us and make us mad. I can vibe with the sounds, or pick a fruitless fight. There isn't even a question which is more intelligent. One can go a step further, meditate into the sounds, give myself compassion and later extend it to the construction workers.

I'm reminded of a zen anecdote, I don't know where I read it: The monks complained to the zen master that the noise from the construction site disturbed their meditation. To which the master replied: Then why do you disturb the sounds with your mind?

I'll try to get some writing done, do some housework and a bit of yoga, and other than that, just relax.



No comments:

Post a Comment