Wednesday, November 17, 2021

(No?) nut november: Day 17. Theory and practice.

 Sometimes I wonder about our apparent attachment to ideas.

It is insane, and it makes a whole lot of trouble - from relationship fights, up to wars between nations.

There was a time when I was quite into zen, and tried to actively disengage from all concepts. I also meditated regularly.

This worked rather nicely.

Still, I find myself attached a lot to theories these days - or to debunking other people's theories, which amounts to the same thing.

What happened?

Well... life happened. You find some things interesting, some things matter to you, some things seem unbearably wrong and stupid and destructive. The global climate of partisanship got a hold of me. Social media impacted me, the pandemic, climate change, national politics... all the things that affect us all.

Last night, I was lying down to sleep. Lots of good ideas for my novel seemed to float around in my head. My breathing exercises went great. I felt wonderful.

I thought: I want to put more focus back on practice. Not theorize about the outcome so much. As far as I remember, when I steadfastly refused to think about where the practice might lead me, I felt liberation, relief, bliss.

Maybe our need for theory comes from a lack of trust in our practice.

Good old buddhist saying comes to mind: You can choose to be happy, or choose to be right - but not both at the same time.

Then again... theorizing is so much fun. Oh crap!

 

 

Source: r/Joyful_Chastity

No comments:

Post a Comment