Thursday, January 20, 2022

The rules I try to follow

For whatever it might be worth to anybody else, here are some rules I try to implement in my own life:

  • Don't obsess over what you can not change.
  • Judge ideas and actions, not people and personalities.
  • Rather than "good" and "evil", try to use more nuanced metrics, such as "more or less useful", "more or less harmful".
  • Try to see both sides.
  • Be mindful.
  • Breathe deep.
  • Synchronize movements to the breath.
  • Be open to bliss.

As a meta-rule, I try to see these "rules" as practices, rather than precepts.

This meta-rule is probably the most important of them all, because it helps me not measure myself against an ideal that is impossible to reach.

They are general guidelines for a life that makes myself and those around me happy. Needless to say, I don't always adhere to them - I try to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment