Thursday, December 7, 2017

Discovering stoicism / general update

I just realized I haven't blogged in a while.

For shame!

As the title suggests, I recently got into the stoa. Mainly I've been reading a modern popular introduction by Massimo Pigliucci, and then went on to study me some Epiktet.

I find that stoicism gives me a really good cognitive framework for my meditative practice. It's like the other half of buddhism, the intellectual part of the practice; replacing those parts of buddhism I reject.

Two main ideas that I really enjoy: the "dichotomy of control" and the idea that you should only care about your own virtue, everything else is simply not your concern. It sounds grim, but once you're into it, it's highly liberating and very joyful.

The core idea is very simple, even trivial, but pose a lifelong challenge: Only some things are under your control. Your judgments are under your control. Your opinions, desires, aversions are under your control. On the other hand, your body is not under your control.

(Of course, our desires are not directly under our control, it takes time and practice, and a good reason for practicing, to get there, and the work is probably never finished.)

It's a fundamentally good place to start. There are even a lot of practical exercises. The only thing it doesn't seem to have, is a formal meditation practice.

Which brings me to...

I am now into regular, formal practice. First time in my life. I do one hour per day. I have done so for maybe two months now. It's tremendously, enormously beneficial. Anger goes away much faster, impacts me much less. I sometimes almost grasp impermanence and no-self, for a bit. Lots of anxieties just fall away.

Plus, it helps me keep up a good exercise regime, which is really good for my diabetes and my CP.

Interesting how I tried to read up on stoicism a few years ago, because one of my best friends is into it a lot. I just didn't grok it. Now, with regular meditation, suddenly it's... fairly obvious, really. Almost self-evident. A lot of the time, when I read the stuff, I'm like "oh yeah, sure, why didn't I see it before?"

I'm actually meditating (ha) to go on a buddhist weekend retreat next year. I just really really would like to beware of any cultish groups (I don't mind mainstream buddhism, I don't have to agree with what they say), and I need them to realize that I have to have some kind of back rest, I simply cannot sit in a lotus pose for more than a few minutes.

So, yey, I guess.

Also, the sex has never been better, thanks for asking. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment